Saturday, November 28, 2009

change

Why do we as humans think that we are strong, invincible? If not physically, then mentally? We assume that we can get through anything, usually with little or no help from others. So when something as terrible and destructive as cancer enters our lives through someone we hold very dear, our world is turned upside down. We can do nothing to fight this enemy. We can not win over it physically. We can not beat it mentally. We are stuck. We tend to look at all big events, maybe even little things in a different light. The this-may-be-the-last feel. The birthdays, vacations, traditions, laughs. We think ahead to future events, weddings, families. We already see the hole they will leave. And it can change you. It sobers you down, shakes you up.

But maybe we should all just slow down and look at our lives that way. Every day is a gift, not a given. Whether we have cancer or a hangnail. Be grateful for all the gifts that God gives you, in the time that He has given them to you.

So maybe I'm not also going to be that happy-go-lucky, ya-can't-bring-me-down-for-anything kinda gal. Maybe my confidence level is in the toilet and maybe I now have no clue what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. Things change. People change. I've changed. I used to be so sure. But reality is harsh. I have to grow up.

But I am still me. I promise.


But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.

1 comment:

Richard Whitcombe said...

2 Corinthians 4:8-10 "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. "

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 "He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

James 4:10 "Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up."

James 5:11 "As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy."


We find our deepest strength in the weakest of moments.

P.S. update, woo!